Sunday, March 27, 2011

Let's Get Creative!

Sometime life puts us into situations where a solution to the problem seems almost lost. These situations that Mike, Dylan, I have faced are all time where we have had to get creative to come up with a solution. Times when we had to think out of the box to solve our problems.
Heather:
Over Spring Break I was faced with a challenging task that I was left alone to do. That task was to transfer Jeffery and Stanley, two very important souls, back to my house without the help of anyone. Now, one might ask so what is the big deal, transferring these two cannot be that hard. Well the deal is that Jeffery and Stanley are beta fish that live in a small divided tank in my dorm room; they aren’t something that can be easily transferred. My roommate had left for Houston and I was getting ready to leave for a ski trip. I knew that I could not leave them alone in at the dorm for a whole week with no food. I knew from experience that they could go a few days without food, because come on we all know college students are busy and they get distracted, but a whole week? No way. Let’s just say my fish do get feed, just not necessarily every twenty-four hours. Anyways back to the real issue. I knew I could not leave them and there was no one around to help me transfer them to my house, so I had to get very creative. Normally when I have to take them back to my house I have a friend hold their small tank while I drive back to my house, but this time I was all alone. So after I had packed all of my bags and carried those to the car I came back for what I knew would be the most difficult thing to pack. As I carried them as steady as I could to the elevator I wondering how in the world was going to get these fish to my house without spilling the tank or killing the poor fish. Well I had finally made it to my car, which was crammed full of all of my bags, opened the door and stood there thinking of all of the possible things I could do to get them to my house. I thought of everything from holding them in between my legs to wedging the tank between my bags and hoping that everything would stay put. I soon realized that those probably were not the smartest ideas and would probably end in disaster. I was on the verge of calling a last resort, when the idea came to me. In my car there is a small gap between the two front car seats, kind of where the console is. Now I was relying on the space being the perfect fit and as I went to place the tank in the opening it was like the people who made my car knew that someday I would being transferring a fish tank. The opening was just tight enough on the tank to hold it in place, which preventing the tanks from sliding all over the place. I knew the moment I had put the tank there that I had found the solution to my problem and it was going to be a successful trip home. I got in my car completely satisfied with my success and drove all the way home with no problems.
Mike:
I’ve been a connoisseur of those little Lunchables pepperoni pizzas since I can remember. I’m near 95% percent positive it was my first self-efficient “meal,” and I still have at least three in the little refrigerator in my dorm to date. But Lunchables pulled a quick on me and removed the spreading-stick for the pizza sauce around 6th grade. How cheap are you to remove the stick to save probably two cents per serving? Meanwhile I’m in stirring darkness, resorted to spreading sauce like a caveman with only the tools evolution gave him. And in that darkness I remained for eight years until I arrived at college. One fortunate night of “inspiration” (the quotations denote only a college student would consider this night inspirational), the idea struck me like a revolution. The solution had been there all the while, just hiding in my hands. The sauce packets have rip-able tops, which I always simply tossed back into the bin and resumed making my pizzas. But the disposed tops were perfectly apt for my sauce-spreading needs, the Enlightenment to my Dark Age. But I’ve been selfish with my discovery and haven’t spread the word, but this blog will advertise nicely. So based on
responses, I’ll have my answer as to how the world will handle this bold epiphany. 

Dylan:
It was my jr. year of high school at the Jim Darnell Stadium in Midwest City Oklahoma where this problem occurred. The Midwest City Bombers were playing the Yukon Millers and the game came down to the 4th quarter. I started at the tight end position for the Midwest City Bombers. There was 5 min. left on the clock and we drove the ball down to the Yukon 6 yard line. We were up 35-28 at this point in the game. Coach Huff gave us the signal from the side line because we ran a no huddle fast pace offense. The play was black right 46 power O, and I was the tight end and lined up to the call side of the ball which on this play was the right side, the play was to my side. So our offense took our positions, and went to the right side and got in my stance. I then bent my knees, cocked my feet in perfect position, placed my hand on the ground, ready and waiting for the quarterback to say ready hit. The play started i blocked down on the defensive end to my inside shoulder, our running back got the ball in his hands, running straight of my block to get in the in zone. I then saw that our tackle to my inside shoulder missed his block and the defensive tackle was pursuing our running back. so i took a good angle, took my right steps to make the block happen, and then kept driving my feet as hard as i could. i then made the defensive end i was blocking knock down the defensive tackle that was after our running back. That then freed our running back to dash into to the end zone to score to touchdown that clinched the win for our team. The Midwest City bombers went on to win the game 45-28.

Although our problems were kind of silly except for Dylan’s, we all found creative ways to solve our problems. Both Mike and I were a last resort solution. However Mike’s problem is something that he has been dealing with for years where my problem was more of a one time situation. Dylan’s problem required him to think on the spot while Mike and I had time to think about other solutions. We all had to use our brain to solve our problems because the solutions were not obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment