Friday, March 25, 2011

A Credible Source or a Crudible Source?

As college students, Mike, Dylan, and I are constantly using the internet as a way to gather information not just for our classes but also for our own personal use. When using the internet though it is important for us to be cautious as to which sites we trust to get our information from. Each of use certain things to help determine if the website we are looking at are a credible source or not.

Mike: Using sources is a very helpful tool in writing. It can lend credibility to a writing, make you sound smarter than you actually are, or just take up some space on a paper. But equally crucial as correctly using sources is making sure they are credible, which is becoming increasingly difficult, especially on the internet. But I remember a few tips that help assure I use the right sources. First, I make sure the internet page focuses more heavily on fact than opinion. Blogs can be helpful for gathering testimonials, but are usually not concentrated on recording facts. Next, I check to see if the page was produced by a popular source or one I already know. Sites that are not visited often are more likely to be less credible. The more popularity a site has, the more accurate its information will usually be, unless of course it’s a very popular blog. And lastly, I always pay mind to any biases that may be inherent on the page. This step may take a little more time and “dirt-digging,” but there are other sources that may be a little more obvious. Everyone knows that Fox News is so right-wing, they’re falling off the edge.
Heather: Whether I am looking for research for paper, reading the recent news, or looking up my favorite actors, I use the internet to gather the majority of my information. Although the internet is an easy way to gather information quickly and easily, I have to be very careful as to which websites I use. The internet is full of credible sources and sources that are not even the slightest bit correct. When I go to search something on the internet the first thing I do is look at the URL ending. If the ending is .edu or .gov then the website is probably reliable. The next thing that I do is to look carefully at the website I am on and make sure the overall purpose of the website is legitimate. Basically, making sure the website is not an advertisement or some gimmick, but an actual source that is trying to provide the correct information. The next thing I check is to see if the website provides citations for where they got their information. If a website has citations then it is a pretty good sign that they are not just making up their information. If I can do all three of these things then I know I have found and good source and that I am not just reading some person's random thoughts.

Dylan: When I go to find source on the internet I try to be aware of if a source is credible or not. To do this one of the things I check is the popularity of a website. When I search a topic I choose a site that is usually at the top of the listing because that is a good sign that the website is viewed often. This is a good way to check the credibility because if the site was not credible then people would not visit the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment